Drought Vulnerability of Illinois' Community Surface Water Systems, Illinois State Water Survey

Illinois Drought

La Harpe

System Information

System Description

Water pumped from Crooked Creek to the La Harpe off-channel reservoir at up to 500 gpm provides approximately 60 percent of the community's water. Water can be pumped from the reservoir to the surface water treatment plant at up to 160 gpm. A shallow well supplies the remaining 40 percent, all of which is treated at a separate plant.

Satellite Communities and Water Districts

None
Locator map for La Harpe

Population Served:

1440

County:

Hancock

Watersheds:

La Moine
Water Source
Name Type Stream DA (sq mi) SA (ac) Capacity Year Est. Est. 2010 Cap. (ac-ft)
La Harpe Cr RW S Br La Moine 15.9
La Harpe Reservoir OCR 9.2 99 99
Groundwater GW

1989 Study:

50-year drought yield sufficient at present level of water use.

USGS Gages:

No data available

Developments since 1989:

Crooked Creek went dry during the 2005 drought, but La Harpe's groundwater supply limited that impact to a bulk water sales ban. These withdrawals lowered the water table just 8 feet above the pump (70 feet below the surface), roughly 5 feet lower than the average annual minimum level. Boy Scouts have built another sedimentation basin for the lake.
Chart of Annual Raw Water Production (mgd)

Notes and Terminology

Vulnerability Report

Choose another Community

Illinois State Water Survey

2204 Griffith Dr
Champaign, IL 61820-7463
217-244-5459
info@isws.illinois.edu

Terms of use. Email the Web Administrator with questions or comments.

© 2017 University of Illinois Board of Trustees. All rights reserved.
For permissions information, contact the Illinois State Water Survey.
Site Map