Since 1982, the Illinois State Water Survey (ISWS), along with the other Illinois Scientific Surveys, has led the State of Illinois in implementing GIS technology for its public agencies. During this time, computer hardware and software performance has increased dramatically, while costs have decreased. Advanced GIS capabilities, which previously required expensive workstations, are now available to GIS professionals on their desktop PCs.
The mission of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) at the Illinois State Water Survey is to promote and facilitate the use of GIS technology in water and atmospheric resources research; provide accurate, timely and accessible geographic information to researchers, decision-makers, and Illinois citizens; and develop innovative applications to expand the field of GIS-assisted research.
For more information, feel free to
GIS Coordinator: Phil Graff
- Enterprise GIS at the ISWS
- How the ISWS has transformed its internal GIS technologies.
- FEMA Map Modernization Program
- Home of the ISWS effort to modernize FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Maps in Illinois.
- PRO-GRADE ArcGIS Plugin
- A plug-in package for pattern recognition in raster data, such as groundwater recharge and discharge patterns.