Fields of Expertise
- Water supply and well water analyses and consultation
- Analytical methods development
- Analysis of water and sediment samples
- Potable water treatment
- Boiler and steam system analysis and water treatment
- Heating and cooling water system analysis and water treatment
- Mineral scale and corrosion analysis and consultation
- Corrosion control and materials selection
The Chemistry and Technology section provides analytical chemistry
and technological services and consultation to state institutions, communities, and
private citizens in Illinois and the Midwest, including Water Survey Scientists.
The Institutional Water Treatment Program, founded in 1949, provides advice to state
facilities on the purchasing, specification, and implementation of chemical treatment
for all of their water-using systems. The Public Service Laboratory has provided
analytical testing and consultation to private citizens and a wide range of users
throughout Illinois since the inception of the Water Survey in the late 1890's.
The Analytical Services group provides chemical analyses in support of the research
activities of Water Survey staff and external researchers. The Midwest Technology
Assistance Center is a new program established to provide technological support
for Small Public Water Supplies and Native American Indian Water Supplies
throughout the Midwest.